The Scottish Hill Runner

Scottish hill runners are a breed apart.   The dedicated hill runners, who run hills races 100% of the time, or even those who run road races for 10% of the time leaving the other 90% of racing time to the sunlit uplands, are not really like the rest of us.   One of their number, when asked to run in a road relay, said to me, “I know I’m fast.   I don’t need to prove it to anybody. ”   Their sense of humour is often quite different too, and they always seemed to me to be fonder of a pint than most other runners.   Given that after stewarding two of the Arrochar Alps races, a friend and myself once went over basically the same trail for a three day walk, and after seeing another friend who was a very good hill runner hurtling diretissima down one of the said Alps, I have nothing but respect for the breed.     Mel Edwards gave me copies of  ‘The Scottish Hill Runner’ magazine a while ago and the contents have been perused and information filtered down in many cases to other articles.    Since there seems to be an interest in actual running memorabilia I decided to put the covers of these magazine which cover 1988 and 1989 up on the site.   They are below, and then I will put the content of the first one on a linked page.   If the interest is there, I will put up the contents of the others.   The first one is for January 1988.

SHR Jan 88

Link to the content

SHR June 88

Link to the content SHR Oct 88

Link to Content

SHR Feb 89

SHR May 89

SHR Aug 89

SHR Dec 89

There is a definite improvement in the finished product in terms of presentation, content and layout of themagazine but the attitudes and values expressed don’t change from one edition to the next!